My Daily Revelation Journal

Okay, I confess: "My Daily Revelation Journal" is far from daily, but what I have here is a collection of thoughts I wrote about life and about faith through the years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seward, Nebraska, United States

Friday, March 13, 2009

Installment 2!

What a week! I have a feeling I’ll be saying that a lot in the coming weeks, but this really was quite a week. This has been my week to get used to the school and students, and for the students to get used to me. My coopering teachers have been great to give me some opportunities to allow the students to introduce myself to them. What makes me excited and most looking forward to beginning is that some of the students have told me that they are excited for me to take over, even students that I didn’t think would be have said they are excited.
Monday was a typical first day I would say. The first impression of the students was great. I can tell they are mostly very good students and I enjoy how polite and nice many are. I am most impressed with them. Several even took the initiative to introduce themselves to me!
Tuesday was crazy, to say the least. It was my first field trip as a teacher, and what an opportunity it was. Prince of Peace took the whole high school and staff to the King Tut exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. As a social sciences teacher I was extremely excited to go, but after riding in a bus (even though it was a very nice bus—not a school bus) for a long time (we took the long way downtown) with 25 juniors and seniors and then a lengthy wait outside the museum, we finally got in and I spent most of my time so much in teacher mode that I didn’t get to appreciate the exhibit as much as I would have liked, or as much as it deserved. However, what I did see was amazing. It was awesome to see items like an Egyptian gold-covered coffin and chairs with its weaved seat still fully in place. I could take a ton of time and list everything I saw that was amazing. It was a random day filled with a lot of observations and things to learn. Also, they allowed us to check out the other exhibits in the museum and it was awesome. The modern art area included some works that involved lights. The best made an entire room yellow with a monochromatic light and a glass tunnel entry and when you went in it mess with your eyes so that everything you saw was in shades of black and grey. It was awesome. There was also a small industrial fan suspended from the very high ceiling and it was on and kept spinning. It was also awesome. Before we left the school, we had a lot of hang out time with the kids, which was nice to experience. Then when we returned there was some more hang out time and then an all-school pep rally.
My cooperating teacher working with me on World Geography allowed me to do a mapping activity for part of the period with them, and I think it went pretty well. It was wild doing it 3 times, but I’ll have to get used to that! It is interesting to see how different the 3 periods are in personality. My cooperating teacher for World History also let me more fully introduce myself to those 2 periods of sophomores. They had some great questions as well. One of the students, who is actually a senior commented rather than questioned by saying that she thinks I am a very happy and calm person. I thought that was great because I haven’t really always been that, for those of you who know me. ☺
So now I am just preparing for taking over the classes. I am taking over World History Friday and then I’ll have 2 classes totaling 5 periods for now. I will be starting with the unification of Germany and Italy and then Russia in Geography.
I don't know if I will post over break, depends if I do anything exciting. I am spending this first weekend in Little Rock visiting a college friend. I am very excited to hang out with her at her home, just not looking forward to the 10 hours on the road. It will be worth it! I will probably post a devotion that I am doing Friday with the World History class. I am excited to have that faith connection with them and I hope that it will open some doors for them.

In Christ,
Adam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home