My Daily Revelation Journal

Okay, I confess: "My Daily Revelation Journal" is far from daily, but what I have here is a collection of thoughts I wrote about life and about faith through the years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seward, Nebraska, United States

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Break....

I have to be honest, I wish I could be on break forever. I of course greatly enjoyed the freedom of spring break, but alas, it is nearly over. I have been as responsible as I could be by doing several lesson plans. I definitely didn’t get as far as intended, but not having internet at home has been somewhat of an issue. I did go into to the school twice, but the second time I couldn’t get the copiers to work with me so I didn’t get a whole lot accomplished.
I definitely am a little worried to begin on Monday. A part of me doesn’t feel ready, which is crazy because I have already been “teaching” for 7 weeks. I think it is because I don’t feel like I am familiar enough with the “ins and outs” of Prince of Peace and everything that the students have been allowed or not allowed to do previously. But as a once-a-teacher friend told me, for awhile I can plead ignorance, which is something that I probably can only do while student teaching. Both of my cooperating teachers are so good that it is also daunting to take over, they are very well-liked. Also, one has a teaching style that is wonderful, just rather different than my own, but I am looking forward to the growth that will provide! And finally, I am already counting down the days because I really just want to be done! ☺ (6 weeks!)
Last weekend I took a weekend trip to Little Rock, Arkansas to visit my beloved friend Elaine. She had visited my home before and since I was only 5 hours away we thought it only fair that I make the trip over there, and man am I ever glad I did. We got to do some much needed hanging out as well as Elaine’s mother made some scrumptious food! The drive there was crazy because of some terrible roads (there was actually a stretch that I drove on the shoulder because it was better than the road) and I drove in rain for the bulk of the trip. I stopped in Hope on my way there for gas (birthplace of President Clinton woo hoo *not*) and the gas station attendant had better facial hair than I do, and she was youngish too. Elaine also took me to the Clinton Library which was actually quite cool, for a democrat. It’s a neat place, I recommend it. Like I said, the trip was just completely worth it!
Monday, Erinn and I had a little outing of ourselves. There is a “lake” (more like a pond) just down the road from our houses so we decided to hang out there and read and enjoy the beautiful weather. They recently put in a walking path by it so there was a lot of dirt and that black tarp stuff to prevent erosion, along with tons of trash (gotta love city life!) Then as Erinn and I worked our way around the pond-thinger to find ducks close to shore for us to feed bread (Erinn’s idea!) we ended up stopping to look at a turtle or something and I suddenly felt a stinging sensation on my feet and looked down to see a large quantity of fire ants crawling all over my feet. Lets just say I began to dance for joy, and Erinn joined me as we scrambled to rid ourselves of the unpleasant feeling. I got some pretty awesome bump thingers (I thought about looking them up on webMD). Shortly after that we then saw a rather…not small snake slither into the water. I wondered, since it was brown, if it was a water moccasin, but I didn’t feel like acknowledging that we had been so near to an extremely dangerous snake, and I didn’t like acknowledging that I had been so near to any kind of snake to be honest. After we crossed a spillway that looked like a sidewalk and almost falling several times, we finally made it to a place that allowed us to feed some birds. I had already fed mine to some small ducks and a large quantity of sea gulls before (I actually ate most of it…it was good bread), but Erinn being the frugal person she is, expertly budgeted hers to share with some beautiful mallards. We spent the rest of our time there watching children laugh with glee while feeding whole loaves of bread to those by then rather domesticated birds, reading, and getting some much needed color.
Tuesday, my aunt took me to see her hair styling shop, which is only the size of a small bedroom, but it fits her perfectly really. Then Erinn and I spent part of the afternoon “sun-bathing,” or as I call it: laying outside without a shirt reading (seems more manly..yes? maybe a bit). We did our best to imagine the waves of an ocean slapping the shore, but all we got was the occasional train, a random continual squeaking noise, and various other sounds typical of an urban environment. I did get sunburned though, which was the intention actually. My uncle talked us into putting on sunscreen, which all my aunt had was SPF 50 for kids. I dutifully put some on, thinking I could just as well have put my T-shirt back on… But I enjoy now being tan in March rather than it taking until mid-June. Then that night my uncle took me to my cousins house so that we could escape the 7 ladies my aunt had over for a night of Bunco and socializing.
Wednesday was boring, really only did ironing and teacherly things.
Thursday was a most excellent day because my uncle brought the girls and I all around the metroplex area. We first went to downtown Dallas to show us around and then we stopped at Dealey Plaza and we got to poke around where one of our presidents was shot, JFK. It was great to be in such a historical place and to be constantly bothered by gentlemen lacking teeth trying to sell us a $5 newspaper thing that chronicled the assassination. I eventually was able to buy one off of another man for $4, I love saving a buck. I will post several pictures from our day, so see above! We then made our way over to Fort Worth and hung out at an awesome park of water-ness, I can’t remember what it was called. There were fountain things. My uncle also took us to an old fashioned burger place called Kincaid’s and it literally is one of the best hamburgers in the country (like number 5 I believe a magazine article framed on the wall declared). It really was amazing though. It was a great day.
Friday, Erinn and I went to Louisville (the next town over) to the Borders there because they are having a 25% off educators week, so thankfully they gave us the discount and I spent a lot of money! I actually got some amazing deals. One of the books I got is regularly priced at $50 and I got it for $7.50. I actually spent around $50 and got 7 books. I was very excited. We then went to the mall near by, and then to Mardels, which is a Christian bookstore and education supply store. I bought a timer and an EZ grader, which I was told I can’t live without if I intend to teach. It was a fun day, filled with spending money and getting hit by Erinn every time she saw a Volkswagen beetle, which I hadn’t experienced since my younger years. For supper I was invited to the girls’ house by their host mom and she cooked a wonderful meal of roast, twice baked potatoes and then a night of board games and Wii, a good time for sure.
Now I am chilling out (it is Saturday) and intending on trying as hard as I can to not freak out about Monday!
Thank you for reading, sorry it was so long, it was an active week! Blessings to you on your coming week, and if you have a minute, say a prayer for confidence and the attention of the students for me!

In Christ,
Adam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home