My Daily Revelation Journal

Okay, I confess: "My Daily Revelation Journal" is far from daily, but what I have here is a collection of thoughts I wrote about life and about faith through the years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seward, Nebraska, United States

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No Pain No Gain, or Gain In Pain?

Wow, I'm like erupting with liquid hot magma of revelations today. But I was just thinking to myself on my way back from doing a very rigorous workout with Andrew and I was thinking about how incredible soar I already am and how sore I will be tomorrow. It’s a sad thing, but then, it came to me, a very clichéd and overly used and sometimes false statement in relation to physical activity, “No Pain, No Gain.” While I did say to myself, no, that doesn’t apply to my body because pain can be a bad thing and can mean something wrong with my body and I should get it checked out and it could possibly lead to needing treatment like surgery or physical therapy. But then I thought to myself, tossing that statement around, and related it to my faith and life as a Christian. And then I realized that in my faith, pain DOES lead to gain. So there is gain in pain, hence my title of the blog. But, as Andrew likes to say, don’t just take my word for it! We find in Romans 5 verses 1-5 we find what we gain in pain: “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” In that, it instructs us to rejoice in our sufferings, all the crap that we have to fight with all the time, because in it we gain the perseverance, character, and hope, because of the ultimate gain in faith in God. And the last point I would like to make today, because I really need to shower, and do some homework, is that in the most well-known suffering of our Savior Jesus, from the pain He endured, all who believe in Him gain eternal life. What more could you ask for?
So I have come to the conclusion that the saying “No pain, No gain” is absolutely false, there is no gain in pain physically, and there is absolute gain with pain when it comes to our faith.

In Christ, again,
Adam

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the hardest concepts, I believe, to fully grasp. I find myself so many times during the day complaining about one thing or another. I soon catch myself and think, what am I complaining about. My problems are so petty compared to the wonder of Christ Jesus. It is hard to remember in those times that we can just talk to him. I think sometimes it seems a little daunting going to Christ with our problems here on earth when he went through so much, even death on the cross, for our salvation. In a book I'm reading right now, In the Eye of the Storm, one thing is made evident over and over, Jesus knows how we feel. Although he did suffer through his crucifixion, he also lived an earthly life, just as we are now. So when things seem just too much to bear, and the gain in the pain seems impossible to understand, just remembering that Jesus fully understands us, and our pain, is a completly awesome comfort in itself.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home