My Daily Revelation Journal

Okay, I confess: "My Daily Revelation Journal" is far from daily, but what I have here is a collection of thoughts I wrote about life and about faith through the years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seward, Nebraska, United States

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Men and Women, Take Heart.

Sisters in this Great Faith, I have learned great things today that will make you happier, unless you already knew it, then it won’t matter as much. But anyway, in my New Testament class today a group did a presentation on the Epistle of Ephesians and they did quite well. After they finished, the professor just wanted to bring out some key things of their presentation as well as of the book of Ephesians. One such thing we talked about was in Chapter 5 verses 22-33. “22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Now, I understand that the idea of the wife submitting to the husband tends to be a hot topic for women and a touchy subject, but I have good news, it doesn’t need to be that way! Yes, the woman’s command has been to submit to the man, but you can not stop there, for the scripture also gives a command for the man, to love his wife as he loves himself and to give of himself for her, making her holy and blameless. He calls for us to care for the woman, as Christ does for the church, they become one in flesh, just as Christ and the Church have become one because Jesus is the Bridegroom and the Church (us!) is the bride. Our sinful natures have caused us to think that there is a hierarchy involved in this that the man is high and mighty and the woman is his servant, heavens no! We are one, equal, it is we just have different callings, or vocations, within Church. The head of household, or the man, isn’t about a power thing, it is about the responsibility, those like the provider, and the protector, the teacher, and those types of things. I have used my incredible graphic talents to make diagrams to show what I mean.
The relationship between Husband and Wife is not like this:

MAN



\/
WOMAN

It is more like this:

MAN <---------->WOMAN

I sincerely hope that you notice the difference between the two. If not, I’m sorry, I don’t know how else to explain it. We could get into a big debate or whatever about the position of women in the church, but lets not, because I feel it’s the same way, but just a different case. But I do hope everyone understands the similarity, but also the difference between the man and women or Husband and Wife. God’s blessings on your day as you live life in Him and in His love and in awe at all the great things He has done and the wonder and beauty of this world He has created.

In Christ,
Adam

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you that this is one of your best revelations! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! God's blessings!
hugs and kisses,
Rachel

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I just thought I would drop a little note saying hello!


Hello

I liked the lesson you brought up today...you did a good job explaining it.

Always~Kris

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done a lot of work and research regarding the role women have been told to take on by God in the Bible (whether in marraige, love, work, the home, and the church, etc). I must say I'm impressed w/ your work. Great Job-
May God continue to bless you!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So..I think this is the first time that role's of men and women has not caused anger to begin to build inside of me when brought up by you:) I really enjoyed your post and all the thoughts that you had for each of us to consider as well...and we don't have to start a debate...even though it'd be fun...and I'd win:) Have an amazing weekend!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

This is the first time that I have ever said this to someone... You should meet my sister before I leave. She actually would love to talk to you about this, since it is the topic of her Master's thesis. When she has written it, I'll make sure that you get to read it.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Ahh...that one graphic or illustration or whatever you wanna call it didn't turn out! It showed up fine in the box where ya type it..so i'm gonna try again!!

MAN
|
|
\|/
WOMAN

9:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Hey, Adam! I don't know you at all, but we have a common blog link that led me here. :) And after reading this entry, I just had to let out an, "Amen, brother!"

What a beautiful gift and relationship marriage is! WOW! It is heart breaking how we can so often misconstrue it... and how people have been burnt by the misuse of "headship." But you put it the best in your blog I think, so I'll stop being redundant. :) Thank you for pointing out the truth of the matter in God's Word! You put it very well! And hey, God's continued blessings to you at Seward. It's a neat place to be.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Tom Vanderbilt said...

As a pastor, I use this verse in my pre-martial counseling. Actually, it paints a picture of each serving the other. The woman serves the man by submitting himself. The man loves the wife as Christ showed his love to the Church: he allowed them to press upon, steal most of his free time, teaches them the way to go, and ultimately gives his very life in an effort to make her life worth something.

Imagine a relationship where two people are tripping all over each other in service. Imagine a fight such as, "NO! It's MY turn to cook supper." Paul's picture of marriage is one of a man and woman serving each other: the woman out of duty and the man out of sacrificial love.

It's a beautiful thing!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allelujiah! Some people think girls who submit to the biblical idea of relationships are submissive but thanks to my father being a pastor, I've always had a different understanding than the world chooses to showcase. Good job restating it here!

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home