My Daily Revelation Journal

Okay, I confess: "My Daily Revelation Journal" is far from daily, but what I have here is a collection of thoughts I wrote about life and about faith through the years.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seward, Nebraska, United States

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Selflessness

Before I get to the post, I would like to extend an apology to all of you who have checked my blog regularly to find no new posts. You have no idea how much I appreciate you reading my posts, I know you're out there. Thank you, and I'm sorry.
The following post, I wrote first as an essay for my College Writing class. It is to be a Definition essay, and my prompt was selflessness.

I can think of only one person that has ever roamed the Earth and showed complete and ultimate selflessness, Jesus Christ. Jesus exhibited the most perfect forms of selflessness, never before did He put Himself before others. Even in the face of death, Jesus thought only of the people He would save. Jesus had a genuine concern for others, always before Himself.
The life of Jesus is a story that is well known; even most who do not believe in Him usually do not deny His existence. Yet, I bring myself to wonder how someone can know of Jesus, but not know of who He really is and what He really has done for all people. Jesus became the ultimate and complete sacrifice, giving of Himself because it was what He had to do. Jesus gave of His time, His efforts, His energy, His love, His compassion, His desire, and His body and soul; His life for no other reason but to save the human race from their sins and eternal damnation.
How much easier it would have been for Jesus to give up, think only of Himself and that what He was sent to Earth to do was not what He really wanted to do. Perhaps He no longer wanted to spare the lives of many by giving of His own. How different things would be now if He would have. One selfless act created a religion, created the essence of the word “love.” Jesus, in his selfless act, embodied the true meaning of love.
Only once did Jesus second-guess His capability to go through with this selfless act. After all, He was not only the Son of God, but also Son of Man. He was human! At the garden of Gethsemane just before His arrest, He did not feel as though he was able to handle the burden. All along He knew what the purpose of His life was and why God had sent Him to Earth; to give of Himself to redeem the lost. He was sent to bring back to God’s people who had gone astray. He was the shepherd that would leave his flock of 99 sheep to go find and retrieve, by any means necessary, that one single sheep that had wandered off on its own.
How can one person not only embody love, but also the truest form of selflessness? He was able to be love and selfless, to complete the task He was sent to do through the trust and faith He had in the Father God. He was able to give of Himself for one reason, to save the lives of many, simply by complete faith in His Creator, our Creator. It was God’s Will that was the driving force for Jesus and His love, compassion, and selflessness. The great thing is we too can obtain that love, compassion, and selflessness from God just as Jesus did. Jesus can be our motivation to go out of our way for our fellow people, to put our own selves to the side and become an embodiment of Jesus, serving our own people, the way He served His people, selflessly.

God Bless You,
Adam

1 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Adam, I check your blog daily so I was very excited to see a new post. I know you are busy and I'm in the same boat, I pray that you make it through the rest of your senior year! I have been lax on my devotion this past few weeks because the coarse load I have, it is nice to see someone else thinking about Jesus and reflecting on his life and how selfless He was. I only pray that I could be have even a 10th of of selflessness of Christ. God is an AWESOME God who loves and cares for us reguardless of who we are and what we have said, done, or thought. Jesus did the most selfless act ever, something that we could never do or fully comprehend...death for the human race....wow. Thank you taking the time to write.
God Bless You Always~
Kris

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home